Shopping / Store Cupboard List
- 2 x shallots
- 1 cup arborio risotto rice
- Large knob butter
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 litre stock (I use Italian Brodo, but any stock works)
- 5 sausages (either chopped up or whole, depending on how long you have!)
- Dried chilli flakes (I use 1 tsp)
- 1/2 courgette
- 1 bag spinach
- Salt and Pepper
- Chop the shallots
- Rinse the rice
- Make the stock
- Prep the sausages (if you aren’t chopping them up, pierce holes in the skin)
- Chop the courgette
- If you have a risotto pan, use that, otherwise a large non-stick frying pan is ideal.
- Heat the pan on a medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the shallots, chilli and rice and stir until softened.
- Add the sausage and gently heat until browned.
- Pour in the red wine (if using) and allow to bubble to cook off the alcohol.
- Add the courgette.
- Add the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until it has been absorbed, then add another.
- Repeat until nearly all the stock is in.
- Season to taste.
- Put the spinach on top of the rice, pour over the last bit of stock and stir.
- Keep stirring until the spinach has wilted and the risotto is your preferred consistency.
- Put a couple of knobs of butter on top and grate over the parmesan.
- Serve quickly!
Prep Time: less than 10 minutes
Cooking Time: around 30 minutes